Zambia only recognises the first 34 (goods) classes. Multi-class applications are also not allowed.
The costs of filing trade mark applications in Zambia are as follows:
- Trade mark search (with limited report): USD180 (kindly note that this is not recommended as the registry records are in disarray)
- Filing First trade mark application (one mark in one class): USD878
- Where the same trade mark is filed simultaneously in different classes, for further applications: USD 735 per application
- Claiming priority: USD77
- Filing power of attorney: USD41 per application
- Attending to publication: USD99 per application
- Attending to registration: USD262 per application
- Costs to respond to official actions: time-based
What we need from you to file a Zambian trade mark application:
- Certified copy of the basic application where priority is claimed
- Full name and physical address of the applicant
- Goods and/services in respect of which the mark is to be protected
- Trade mark (if it is not a word mark, a representation thereof)
- Original power of attorney (simply signed)
General Prosecution Information:
The trade mark application is examined to ensure compliance with all formal requirements and also to ensure that there is no prior conflicting trade mark on the register. The registry will issue an official action if there are further requirements or objections.
Trade marks are initially filed for a 7-year period. After the first period, they can be renewed at 14-yearly intervals (calculated from the date of application) in perpetuity.
- Renewal charges are as follows:
- First registration: USD1 010
- Second and further registrations: USD960
Kindly note that all fees include official charges. These are not in our control and are subject to change.